Friday, February 3, 2012

My Brother Sam is Dead Chapter 14: Summary and Analysis

Below is an example of the type of summary and analysis you will find in my e-books.


Chapter 14: Summary and Analysis

On Saturday, February 13th, Colonel Read came up from the encampment to let Tim and Susannah know that General Putnam had refused their plea for clemency. The unfairness of war is voiced by both Tim and Colonel Read as it is a very important theme in the novel.

Tim is too emotional to sit through the church service for Sam and the others, his Mother is too depressed to even attend.

Susannah: "I'm not going, they can murder who they like, church who they like, but I'm not going. For me the war is over."

The tavern is closed and as far as Susannah is concerned it can remain that way. Tim, feeling angry and bitter, sharpens his father's bayonet with the intention of heading to the encampment to free Sam.

Susannah: "Going to get yourself killed, son?"

Tim: "I'm going to save my brother"

Susannah: "No, you're going to get yourself killed. Well you might as well. Let's have it all done with at once. How does that old line go? Men must fight and women must weep, but you'll get no more tears from me. I've done my weeping for this war."

As they have done in Chapter 13, the Collier brothers paint a picture of the encampment at Redding via Tim's narrative. Tim's comments about the lack of trees, the lines of huts, the muddy road, the corrals, etc… are written for more than dramatic effect. In real-life there were not many trees left in the encampments of Redding during the winter of 1778-79, there were lines of huts, muddy roads, wagons and cannons, officer's quarters. They even place the prisoners in the correct location. The 1778-79 guardhouse was not located within the encampment, but on a road in close proximity to General Putnam's headquarters. So we are given a glimpse of the winter encampment through Tim's eyes and entertained by the well orchestrated climatic representation of Tim sneaking around the encampment, stalking guards and dodging bullets as a bonus really.


Tim narrating:
"I began to slip down the steep hillside from stump to boulder…I stopped and I stared. I couldn't see anybody moving around…I glanced at the guard…he didn't move for several moments…and I suddenly realized that he was asleep. I took the bayonet out of my belt and clutched it tight in my hand. If Sam could killed people, so could I…I stood up and charged…the guard stirred. I drove my feet faster…"Halt." He shouted. He swept the musket up, the bayonet pointing straight at me, twenty feet away…"Sam" I shouted, and "Sam" again as loud as I could. The guard lunged at me. I lifted the bayonet and threw it in the air. It flashed in the moonlight, spinning lazily over and over and fell into the stockade. Then I turned and began racing as fast as I could across the snow for the safety of the boulders on the hillside. I had gone only three paces when the musket went off with a terrific roar…I dashed onto the slope, and then began staggering upward, zigzagging from boulder to boulder to keep protection at my back. Behind me there was shouting and running and the sound of a horse being wheeled around…I reached the trees at the top of the ridge and flung myself flat. They'd never get me now…I rolled over and looked down…I stared into the stockade. There was no action there, no people moving at all. Lying in the center of that square of snow, something shiny glistened in the moonlight. And I knew it had all been a waste. The prisoners weren't in the stockade anymore."

Tim has a bullet wound to show for his efforts at the encampment, but nothing severe. The following day is Sam's execution and Tim attends knowing Sam would want somebody there, Susannah refuses to go. Tim's narration of the executions is straight forward; he simply tells us what happened. A sad, abrupt ending; a fate many soldiers suffered during the War of Independence.

Sam's execution at the hands of his own troops is symbolic of the atrocities of war, it is also an accurate portrayal of actions that needed to be taken by Generals like Israel Putnam in the early stages of the American Revolution. The more horrific these executions were, the less likely the soldiers who viewed them would be to disobey their Generals orders later.

What do we learn about in Chapter 14?

In Chapter 14 we get a sense of the frustration and anger Susannah has at this point in the war:

A. She has lost her husband, who passively resisted the rebellion
B. She’s about to lose her eldest son, who has actively participated in the rebellion.
C. She’s watching her youngest son sharpen his father's bayonet with the intention of heading to the encampment to likely get his self killed.

But the truly important content in Chapter 14 is Tim’s first person account of the executions. Sam's character takes the place of John Smith’s execution in the novel. Which are very close to the real-life events that occurred that day:


“The soldier that was to be shot for desertion was but a youth of sixteen or seventeen years of age. The Rev. Nathaniel Bartlett, who was pastor of the Congregational Church in Redding for a period of fifty years, officiated as chaplain to the encampment during that winter, and was present at the execution. He interceded with General Putnam to defer the execution of Smith until Washington could be consulted- for reason the offender was a youth; but the commander assured him that a reprieve could not be granted.

John Smith was described as "extremely weak and fainting" as he was led by Poor's Brigade Chaplain, the Rev. Dr. Evans, approximately 200 yards from the gallows to the place he was to be shot.

Putnam gave the order and three balls were shot through his breast: he fell on his face, but immediately turned over on his back; a soldier then advanced, and putting the muzzle of his gun near the convulsive body of the youth, discharged its contents into his forehead. The body was then placed in a coffin; the final discharge had been fired so near to the body that it had set the boy's clothing on fire, and continued burning while each and every soldier present was ordered to march past the coffin and observe Smith's mangled remains; an officer with a drawn sword stood by to ensure they complied.”

Classroom Conversations:

1. It is important to help the students understand why Sam was killed. There was disaffection and insubordination in the army in 1777 & 1778. Desertions were frequent, and spying was almost openly practiced. To put a stop to these practices it was vitally necessary to the safety of the army, to see that these sentences were carried into effect. These executions were a warning to the other soldiers; it showed them what would happen if they disobeyed orders and it was very effective.

Sam's death is another ironic twist in the story: A father and son's loyalty to their beliefs results in death at the hands of their own troops. Life died on a British ship and Sam is executed by American soldiers.


To purchase or borrow my e-books visit Amazon.com's Kindle bookshelf.

No comments: