Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Love and Marriage During the American Revolution

Farmer's livestock was not the only object of the visiting soldier's desires while they were encamped in Redding CT during the Winter of 1778-79.

Below are some entries in the parish records that prove that "amid the horrors of war sly cupid found a chance to inflict his wounds". They are given as entered by the Rev. Nathaniel Bartlett:

Feb. 7, 1779. I joined together in marriage James Gibbons, a soldier in the army, and Ann Sullivan.

March 18, 1779. I joined together in marriage John Lines, a soldier in the army, and Mary Hendrick.

March 30, 1779. I joined together in marriage Daniel Evarts, a soldier in the army, and Mary Rowland.

April 15, 1779. I joined together in marriage Isaac Olmsted, a soldier in the army, and Mary Parsons.

April 28, 1779. I joined together in marriage Jesse Belknap, an artificer in the army, and Eunice Hall.

May 4, 1779. I joined together in marriage William Little, steward to Gen. Parsons, and Phebe Merchant.

May 23, 1779. I joined together in marriage Giles Gilbert, an artificer in the army, and Deborah Hall.

March 9, 1780. I joined together in marriage William Darrow, a soldier in the army, and Ruth Bartram.

1 comment:

Arya Samaj Mandir said...
This comment has been removed by the author.