Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Using Historical Fiction in the Classroom Teaching Programs

Using Historical Fiction in the Classroom Teaching Programs

This Spring/Summer I will be hosting a number of My Brother Sam is Dead Teaching Programs in Southwestern Connecticut. In these programs I will be providing information about the topics and issues My Brother Sam is Dead explores and how both teachers and students can benefit from its usage in the classroom. CD's containing all my material, maps and photos will be available at these events.

Event #1:

TEACHERHOSTEL™ - 2009
The British Invasion of 1777: The Ride of Sybil Ludington™
Date: May 16-17, 2009
Location: Danbury, Ridgefield, Westport
Cutoff Date for Registration: April 14, 2009
Cost: $145

My portion of the program is at 4PM in Ridgefield's Keeler Tavern Museum:
4:00PM My Brother Sam Is Dead: Teaching the British Invasion of 1777

Event #2:

Putnam Park School Days- May, 2009
My Brother Sam is Dead, Fact vs. Fiction
Date: May 18-21, 2009
Location: Putnam State Park, Redding, CT
Cutoff Date for Registration: April 14, 2009


9:30 AM to 2:00PM My Brother Sam Is Dead: Fact vs. Fiction, learn about the real events that were fictionalized in the novel. This event is for students and teachers. In addition to this presentation we will have camp activities, re-enactors and craftsman on hand all day to educate schools about the park and the time period it was occupied.

Contact Nancy Cowles for information and sign-up.

Event #3:

Putnam Park Filmfest- Summer 2009
See the Film Version of My Brother Sam is Dead at Putnam Park
Date: TBA
Location: Putnam State Park, Redding, CT
Cutoff Date for Registration: TBA


Come watch the film, My Brother Sam is Dead, under the stars at Putnam Park! A very unique opportunity to view this rare film at the very encampment General Putnam's troops were stationed.

Contact Brent Colley if you are interested in signing-up. We have not set a date for this yet and are open to suggestions.

No comments: